Sunday, October 11, 2009

Kids + Chores = A Must

Yes, I'm one of those mean moms - I make my kids do chores. One of the best things I started with my children was having them do their own laundry. At the age of eight (yes, eight) they were completely responsible for their own laundry (wash, dry, fold and put away). So, if they had no clean underwear - whose fault was it? Not mine! Of course when my kids were young, I always checked their laundry to see if they needed any reminders. But after a couple of years, they didn't need my "gentle reminders" any more. It has been a wonderful learning experience and a great way to learn responsibility. My son has been doing this for 11 years and it has only helped him learn skills my husband never learned until we were married. We haven't had any major laundry problems such as pink underwear (a couple of items have shrunk). It's been the best thing for my kids and for me.
Image from here.
This image reminds me of my daughters vacuuming when they were four years old. It can be done - it's just we need to show them and follow through.

I came across this article about kids and chores and thought it was fabulous. Written by Mariel of One She Two She, "It might make ya feel like a meanie-pants but I seriously believe you are doing your kids (and their future spouse) a huge disservice by not having them do regular chores. I think the values of hard work, sensitivity and respect of others hard work, team work, cleanliness, and family contribution are best instilled in the home. Besides that...there is no reason why we (mothers) need to be cleaning up after everyone and doing everything around the house ourselves! Can I hear a big "Amen"?!? Get those kids contributing! You will be saving your sanity and building their character! Win-Win."

"Okay, I know...I know...it's a chore just GETTING kids to do chores, right? Well, yes. But, the sooner you start, the easier...and, it's never too late. The key is consistency!! If you are too inconsistent with having them do chores your kids won't see the value of their hard work. A home should look mostly presentable and be sanitary. On the other hand, don't be a Cleaning-Nazi. You have to find a middle ground and be understanding that you run a home with REAL children in it. You have to expect and learn to be okay with everything not being perfect. It can all be "perfect" when they move out. But, don't make their lives miserable because of a character flaw you might have."


I received permission from Mariel to share her article with my readers. Please go to One She Two She to read the rest of the article and more about her ideas for kids and chores - it's brilliant!!

She also shares great ideas about allowance for kids. Personalized money can be made at this website for free.