Friday, October 30, 2009

Colorful Creative Playroom!

Bright green walls - fabulous for a playroom! Jenni McEntaffer kids playroom is vibrant and colorful. What I love most? The personalized hand print art done by her kids! Kids love to play in/with paint and what better way to display cool artwork but with their own hand prints! The walls paint colors - Lime green (Olympic semi-gloss from Lowes)
Blue bayou (Olympic semi-gloss from Lowes)
Velvet lining (Colorplace semi-gloss from Walmart)-this was the deep purple accent color


kids playroom ideasJenni explains the process, "When we moved into our house a year ago we created a playroom in the basement. It had white walls, beige carpet and led into our family room. It was boring. Then we added the toys which helped add color but the toys lined the entire room, looking unorganized and messy. We added two shelving units which helped store toys in bins, out of sight. As we approached our 1 year anniversary since moving into our home I got to work creating a fun, bright playroom. Because I have a 4 year old daughter and a 2 year old son, I chose bright green and blue with a dark purple accent color. I painted wood star hooks and tied them together with cording to hang my kid's artwork. I created a reading corner with a shag rug, basket of books and pillow. I painted chalk board paint on a large area so the kids can draw and that becomes part of the design (and changes with each new picture). Probably the easiest new feature was the dress up curtain. My daughter has many princess dresses and my son is starting to collect his own dress up wardrobe of fireman suits, wizard hats, etc. I wanted one, organized location to hang them instead of stuffing them into a bin. I painted and hung 6 star/flower hangars to display the dress up clothes and added a fun curtain to close off the dress up area. When my daughter wants to dress up she goes behind the curtain, changes and then I make an announcement to anyone willing to hear...that the princess is coming. Both kids love being behind the curtain! I didn't expect the dress up area to be so successful but it was the best part of the new playroom. I also wanted to display pictures of my kids playing and having a blast so I chose funny pictures of them playing guitar hero, dressing up, making silly faces, etc. My favorite picture was when I went down a slide before the kids and took the picture as we all came down the slide, the smile on both their faces is huge which makes me relive that moment of pure happiness. I opted to blow up that picture to a 18 x 24 size and painted some circle design around it, bringing even more attention to it."



Jenni you really thought out the playroom with creative details. Thanks for sharing!