Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Winter Games: Activity Sticks for the Kiddos


 


  Hi everyone! My name is Erin and I'm the DIY wannabe behind How to Nest for Less!





I'm excited to be back again guest blogging with Toni at Design Dazzle! Hope you guys enjoy my latest project!


So winter isn't even close to being over and the kiddos are already bored with the same ol' stuff. So what's a mommy to do? Create some Winter Games Activity Sticks!



Here's the step by step instructions to cure the common case of winter boredom!


First I gathered all of my supplies:


  • White tin jar

  • Scrapbook paper

  • Wooden craft sticks

  • Spray adhesive

  • Elmer's glue

  • Hot glue gun

  • Alphabet stickers

  • Print out of 30+ activities





First thing I did was spray 10 wooden craft sticks to three different colors of paper (30 sticks total) using spray adhesive.


While that was drying I started work on the tin jar. I wrapped the entire tin with a piece of glittery blue and white snowflake scrapbook paper using my hot glue gun.


Then I used some alphabet stickers to label my jar with "Winter Games". I used glittery pink letters since this is going in my daughter's bedroom. Winter-ish, but girlie :)




Now it's time to finish the activity sticks that were set aside for drying. I used an exacto knife to trim out the straight sides and a pair of small scissors to cut the rounded edges.




I then created a Word doc of 30 activities and printed it out in a cute font. I trimmed them out and used Elmer's glue to adhere them to the ends of the activity sticks.


Here are all of the completed activity sticks!


Pretty cute, huh? Yeah, I'm figuring we'll use these a lot more than just the winter months!




Also, if you don't feel like tracing out the scrapbook paper to adhere to the wooden sticks, you can always buy colored ones from Hobby Lobby or other craft store!



Here is a list of the 30 activities I used!



  • Playdoh

  • Barbies

  • Candyland

  • Chutes & Ladders

  • Glue & Tape

  • Paper Dolls

  • Baby Dolls

  • Watercolors

  • Crayons

  • Paper Bag Puppets

  • Sock Puppets

  • Paint Rocks

  • Build a Fort

  • Watch a Movie

  • Play the Piano

  • Tea Party

  • Dance

  • Play Restaurant

  • Treasure Hunt

  • Bake Something

  • Manicure/Pedicure

  • Look at Photo Albums

  • Dress Up

  • Read Nursery Rhymes

  • Indoor Picnic

  • Play Charades

  • Play School

  • Finger Painting

  • Make Paper Hats

  • Make Ornaments




Thanks for letting me share a new project with you today! I hope you guys enjoyed it and can't wait to share another adventure with you next month.



And Toni, thanks so much for inviting me to Design Dazzle for the day!






Much ♥ to everyone, Erin







 Erin is a St. Louis based designer, wife, mother and author of the blog 


How to Nest for Less.





REMINDER:

Our link up party is Friday 12:01 AM EST