Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Christmas Tinsel Block Calendar

 

Hi everyone! My name is Erin and I'm the DIY wannabe behind How to Nest for Less!




I'm excited to be back guest blogging post with Toni at Design Dazzle for her Christmas Wonderful series! Hope you guys enjoy my latest project!



I have a little 3 1/2 year old miracle named Ellie. She's in preschool and LOVES math and anything to do with numbers. I thought a Christmas block calendar would encourage her math skills and be a fun little Christmas craft that she can keep in her bedroom. Let's begin!




First I gathered my supplies... two 5 inch Styrofoam blocks, 2 garlands of tinsel from Dollar Tree, sticker scrapbook paper and a stand up display box. OK, I have to admit... I didn't purchase the display box. I saw it empty at the Dollar Tree and asked a worker if I could take it for free. It was the PERFECT size for what I wanted to accomplish. Thankfully he said YES!

I started by measuring out the sticky scrapbook paper to cover the Styrofoam cubes. The paper was long enough at 8.5x11" to cover two sides of the cube. It worked out to having each cube with 2 red, 2 green and 2 silver sides.



 

The corners weren't perfect, but no worries! That's where the tinsel comes in!



 

I used my handy dandy hot glue gun to attach the tinsel to each cube.





For the numbers I used my new Silhouette Cameo to cut out vinyl lettering on glittery paper (the font I used is Politician). I did half in red, half in silver. After all the numbers were applied, I trimmed back the tinsel a bit so the numbers would really POP out!



Next it's time to prepare the stand up display box I got for FREE from the Dollar Store. Like I said before, it was the absolute perfect size to fit the two 5" cubes! I added the phrase "Days Until Christmas" in silver glittery letters to the bottom of the box in a font called Pharmacy (also, if you don't have a Silhouette Cameo or vinyl lettering, just use stickers!).

And that's it. Wanna see the final result? I'm SUPER happy, and so is my little lady!



 


Thanks for letting me share a new project with you today as part of the Christmas Wonderful Series! I hope you guys enjoyed it and can't wait to see what everyone else has planned.




And Toni, thanks so much for inviting me to Design Dazzle for the day!  






Much ♥ to everyone, Erin