Friday, November 18, 2011

Children Designed Gift Tags

Hello friends! I'm Kierste, the girl behind {brown paper packages}, and I'm delighted to be here and a part of the Christmas Wonderful series!


I love doing projects with my kids, and this not only includes them, but highlights their creations. Yesterday afternoon I asked my kids to draw me some Christmas pictures--anything they wanted. We brought out the markers and the white paper, and they went to town. I took their artwork, and made them into absolutely adorable gift tags. The colors are so fun in the unconventional look of the pink tree--it's a true representation of my 4 year old, and I love it!





I love the idea of designing a gift tag for each child, so they can put it on the presents they're giving. Or, just using them on any gifts you're giving! I know my parents would love getting gifts featuring a tag with my children's drawings. How fun for your child's teacher, too!



I made my tags in photoshop, but if you don't have it, don't worry! You can still make them--I'll tell you how!



Children Designed Gift Tags





ITEMS YOU NEED:

  • your children's artwork! (on white paper, with marker, any size will work!)

  • scanner

  • cardstock

  • paper trimmer

  • distress ink

  • ribbon


DIRECTIONS:



1. Once the art is ready, scan it with your scanner, and save it as a file. My son had quite a few drawings on one paper, so I cropped each picture and saved it as it's own file.



Photoshop/Gimp: I created a file that was 5 inches wide, and 3 inches high. I inserted the picture I wanted, then added text and saved it as a jpg file. I opened a new Word document, inserted the jpg file, and adjusted the size. I was able to fit 6 tags on one page. You can also insert your file into a mailing label document, then print onto labels.



Without Photoshop: You have a couple of different options!



The first is to open a Word (or even Power Point) document, insert your picture, and the create a text box for your text. This isn't hard, you will just need to play around with the formatting/sizing until it's how you want it to be. Then you can copy and paste to fit more on the page--I was able to get 6 larger tags.



The second option is to create mailing labels--I suggest the 2x4 inch size, or larger. Open a new label document, then insert your picture and add your text.



2. Print your tags! You can either print them on cardstock as I did, or create mailing labels so they are sticky!







3. If you print on cardstock, cut them to size, distress the edges, and then mat onto coordinating cardstock. You can either punch a hole in the corner to add ribbon, or tape the label flat onto a package. If you print onto label, you can just stick your label on as is, or mat the label as indicated above.







They are just so fun! I can't wait for Christmas Eve, which is the night that my husband and I sit down together and wrap all our kids' gifts together. We've done it since we've been married, and it's one of our favorite traditions. Once the kids are in bed, we pop in a Christmas movie, grab some yummy Christmas treats, and get to work.



.....



Thank you so much for having me!  I hope you'll stop by {brown paper packages} and say hello...I'd love to have you!



   









Specialty Cardstock White







275