Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Baby Shower or Party Idea: Wrapped Vase Centerpiece

Thank you to Toni for asking me to guest post on Design Dazzle. I throw quite a few parties over at Frog Prince Paperie (www.frogprincepaperie.com) and I’m always excited to be able to share some of the things I’ve learned.


When I’m designing dessert tables or tablescapes, I have a prop closet full of basic vases and such that I use. The vases don’t always fit exactly what I’m doing, so I have to make them match with a little creative engineering and one of my favorite ways to do this is to make wrapped vases. 



Materials:


-    Vase

-    Cardstock

-    Patterned paper

-    Ribbon

-    Edge puncher



Vases come in all shapes and sizes, so I’m going to give the method I used for this particular project—you can adjust for the vase you choose!



 Cut the cardstock 1 inch shorter than the height of your vase. Make sure your paper is long enough to wrap all the way around your vase; if you have to, tape 2 pieces of paper together to get the right length. I recommend cardstock for the first layer, as it tends to stand up to the edge puncher a bit better.





  Punch the edge of the paper using a scrapbook edge punch. I love the
Martha Stewart line, but there are all kinds of beautiful punches available at
the craft store!











Cut the patterned paper 2 inches shorter than the height of
your vase, or short enough that your punch can peek over the top.
 




 







Wrap your vase first with the punched paper and tape in place, then with
the patterned paper.  

 














Tie a length of ribbon around the papers to finish! I used a
1.5 inch double faced satin for my finished product, but a grosgrain or polka
dot or something else fun would have worked great as well!
When I filled this vase with flowers, I picked up
inexpensive carnations from the grocery store that coordinated with my pink
paper and a piece of floral foam to get them to stay in place.
This concept can be used in any number of paper/ribbon
combinations. I also like to punch the bottom edge of my papers when I have
taller vases for a really lacy and feminine look.
Hope this adds one more creative piece to your repertoire!
Paula Biggs
Frog Prince Paperie
www.twitter.com/frogprincepaper
 




         =====================================
Thank you Paula for sharing such a fantastic idea! I love the fact that you can make a stunning vase out of inexpensive items! This is so perfect for a baby shower, party or special event.