Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Make Your Own Hanging Bow Holder

Hi everyone!


My name is Lindsay and I am absolutely thrilled to be a new contributor here at Design Dazzle!



A little bit about me:

*  I am a wife to an amazing husband who is finishing up his last year of MBA grad school

*  I am a mother to a spunky, chunky, hilariously cute 2-year old daughter

*  I am a Doctor of Pharmacy (aka pharmacist, or druggist according to my grandma)

*  I eat Oreos with a fork (you're gonna want to try it!)

*  I LOVE shoes

*  I love shopping and getting a great deal

*  I have a passion for creating, making things new again and re-purposing items-I guess you could say I'm a DIY-er

*  I have a little blog called Apothecary Home where I share my "home decor remedies" and craft projects





Today I am excited to share a bow holder I made for my daughter's room.   I love it because it's convenient, it keeps us organized, and {most importantly} it's cute!





While shopping with my best friend, I fell in love with some metal flowers at Tai Pan Trading.  They were perfect for my daughter's room and I was trying to figure out a way to incorporate them. Sometimes inspiration comes from within, but much of the time it comes from other places (or people).  My friend mentioned that maybe I could make a bow holder out of them and I ran with it! (Not literally, that's almost like running with scissors. Could be dangerous.)



Anyway, I bought them (for only $3.97 each!) along with some cute coordinating ribbon to match my daughter's room.













I attached the stems together using some wire I had on hand, wrapping really tight.





 I attached the wire in 3 different places along the stems:





Since my daughter loves accessories {hmmm, wonder where she got that from?} she happens to have a lot of bows, so I made the ribbons quite long to hold them all.  I cut each piece of ribbon 4 feet long then pinned  to the stems of the flowers, covering up the wires.







 


Next step is to sew across the ribbon to keep it in place. Oops... I may have accidentally skipped this step and just left the pins in it instead of sewing it....What? I really wanted to get it up on the wall!  Plus, it holds everything just fine and there is no way in the next 15 years that my daughter could ever reach them or get poked by them.  Also, she's the super awesome type of child that isn't  mischievous and doesn't pull on the ends of  the ribbon and try play with it; if that doesn't sound like your child, I recommend sewing it :)  Who knows, maybe I'll sew it next week? We're new to having a 2-year old, things could change rather quickly I'm afraid. 



 I also bought a little tin pail that matches to put in other hair goodies and accessories. I think the greatest decorating happens when things are both functional and beautiful.  I love that it adds more beauty and color to the room by only doing it's job! 






tip: seal the edges of the ribbon so it doesn't fray,  I use a lighter to do this but I know they make a special liquid that does this as well.



I love finding ordinary things and making them my own.  I love knowing that my daughter has decorations filling her room that are as unique as she is. I hope that I can help inspire someone else in their decorating journey with some of the things I create.



I would love for you to come visit Apothecary Home to see some of my other projects and say hi!



Thanks for having me Toni!!! 






I'd like to give a warm welcome to our newest Design Dazzle contributor, Lindsay. Welcome, Welcome!!!