Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Make your own Wall ART.


Hi again everybody!





I am Desirée from The 36th AVENUE.



and as always I am thrilled  to visit here at Design Dazzle...


I am so excited to share with you the wall art that I made for my son's  remodeled bedroom.










If you have boys  I am sure  you find yourself at times a bit frustrated with the fact that the choices for decor are  a LOT more limited for the guys than what it is for girls.


I know I have!


So after looking and looking for wall art for my little guy  I gave up and I came up with my own...











These signs were so simple to make that I hope they inspire you to create your own accessories if you don't find what you are looking for...


DO NOT COMPROMISE!





HERE ARE SOME TIPS:





1. Use What YOU Have...


To do something like this you'll need paint, paper, templates or vinyl and a bunch of old frames.


That's it!











Talking about using what you have I even used the back boarding that the frame comes with as the background of the main sign. I just painted it and antiqued it a little bit with an ink pad...




It looks pretty good to me!











2. THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX




Because all the frames I had were a little bit "girly" turned them around since I wanted their fronts to be flat without the "molding" on it...


I thought this look would be more boyish.


So what you are seeing here as the front is actually the back!










Now that there was no need for glass I cut some strips of card stock and I glued it where the glass was supposed to sit. This picture will help you visualize what I'm talking about!


...This frame needed some serious paint ;)







After some tender love I ended with a cool frame like this...












3. Become Miss Designer!




Patterns, colors and textures are what make any space GREAT.


Because I couldn't find the right backgrounds for my pictures I decided to make my own.








Here is the final look...












4. Keep it SIMPLE.





BOYS are COOL, STRONG, DIRECT... so it is good to keep that in mind when you are decorating for them. Dominant colors such as  deep ORANGE, GREEN, RED, GRAY and NAVY BLUES work perfectly as they are highlighted by white backgrounds...






When it comes to boys too much is TOO MUCH!


So numbers, monograms and large graphics are perfect choices for Wall Art.



REMEMBER KEEP IT SIMPLE!









5. Vinyl and Prints


 Because I have a vinyl machine I get to design, cut and make my own signs...









 ...but if you don't have a machine or even want to spend the money on vinyl.


Make it, PRINT IT and FRAME IT!






6. Enjoy your work!





Toni, thank you so much  for having me another month!


I would love for you to come visit my blog The 36th AVENUE and see some other DIY projects.






Mod Porge Fabric Suitcase






The Mud Closet


 


...And if you like my signs I'm giving away a full set of the vinyl stencils {just like mine}  on my blog today. So make sure you come and enter the GIVEAWAY!









THANK YOU AGAIN Toni! 




Desirée


The 36th AVENUE