Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Vintage Eclectic Girl's Baby Nursery

Pure sweetness describes this room designed by Chelsea Gallacher! Says Chelsea: ""My vision for the nursery was something of a hand-me-down idea. I love when you see a store, or a room that is a bunch of beautiful things all put together, different colors, shapes and styles, all somehow meshing to create that "one of a kind" look. I wanted my baby girl's nursery to look sort of cottage-vintage-eclectic with a touch of that shabby chic. I wanted it to feel sweet and soft. But not boring, not only a few colors, or a specific "theme". I really wanted it to be different, interesting. We wanted the room to feel like a mix of beautiful things. I re-did a living area, which is where some of her shelves came from. I just placed them to create a less formal feel. It was also a way to use things I already had.
I made the birds, the name wall hanging also-- all I used was scrapbook paper, paper flowers, ribbon, vintage buttons, a distressing kit, and some table doilies. I also made her name sign with the same items, adding table doilies. I got my many sisters (6) to help make the birds, each of my sisters made a great creative bird... it was like a piece of love from my baby's aunts to add to the room. My goal was not to go out and buy a lot of new things, but to hunt down old things, reuse things I had, and make it all seem to flow."We wanted the room to feel like a mix of beautiful things. The curtain is bark cloth, her bedding is Bella Notte. All miss matched on purpose. I wanted it to feel like hand me down linens, like grandma's old cozy bedding. I hand made quite a few things in the room. We are really happy with the finished result!"





BEFORE PHOTO of basket:


AFTER PHOTO of basket lamp:
Chelsea describes the process of making the light fixture, "The "diaper change" light. I really wanted something other than the overhead fan light for late night diaper changes, feedings, etc. I was going to use a regular lamp-- until I saw this great idea here on Design Dazzle. I thought, "Hey! I can do that!" I got the beads from Michaels, they are wedding beads, on wire in long pieces. The basket and light kit from Pier 1 (I'm sure you can all find a cheaper one, but I was in a hurry- and those two stores were right next to each other!) I had to spray paint the basket white and then I got started! Using floral wire I tied pieces of beading to the basket vertically. Then at the end I got tired of the cutting and wiring the little pieces, so I twirled the last piece around the whole thing, well, I liked it, A LOT!! So I finished it off that way. My mistakes made it even cuter in my mind! To get the light kit in I had to chop away at the top of the basket to make a hole big enough for the plug to squeeze through, then I threaded the light through. When we hung it (with a hook from the ceiling) I stapled the cord to the wall to hold it flush, then painted over the cord the wall color. I love it. The light it reflects is a shimmer effect, so romantic. It turned out great!

It sure turned out beautiful! Thank you Chelsea for sharing with Design Dazzle.