Monday, September 14, 2009

Ships Ahoy It's A Boy's Room!

A nautical theme is such a classic style for a little boy's room. Jen Cavorsi put together this maritime style bedroom for her son.

1. What gave you the idea for the room? Anything special that inspired you?
We live in New England close to the water and I love nautical for little boys. I had also fallen in love with a Pottery Barn Kids bedding set, that I actually bought when he was a baby. I was just waiting to design his big boy room around this bedding.

nautical boys bedroom2. What are the paint colors? Any do-it-yourself projects?
The cream/beige paint color was already on the wall and we just added navy blue stripes from Ralph Lauren paint. I bought the big red C online at Wallwords.com. Very easy to apply and it looks like it's painted on. I was on a budget for this room but wanted to make it as unique as possible. So I painted the oak dresser that was in our guest room red and spray painted the handles black. I also hand painted the compass on the wall above the dresser. The life float is wood and was bought at Michaels unfinished and I just painted it white and added my son's name.


3. Please share any bedding, art, furniture finds? What's your favorite purchase? Is there something you had to have? Any interesting facts our readers would want to know?
The accessories I found at Home Goods or on eBay. I purchased the navy blue roman shades from Pottery Barn kids and the red headboard is also from Pottery Barn Kids, as well as the bedding. The white nightstand was purchased from IKEA and the rattan rug was also purchased from IKEA. I also had black frames sitting around my house that weren't being used, so I painted them white nad bought a red matted insert. I have been looking for pictures to put inside the frames but int he meantime I just printed off a sailboat from clipart in Word and put it in the frames. It's actually growing on me. I have to say that this adorable quilted bedding set is what inspired me to start this whole project and I'm very happy with how it has turned out. This is a very budget friendly room and I didn't think I would be able to create it with items I had sitting around the house but I did. My son loves his room and I am hoping it can grow with him

UPDATE:
Jen, describes the paint process for this dresser, "The paint is by Behr but I believe I chose the color from the Ralph Lauren line and it is called cherry cobbler. The dresser was originally an oak dresser with a shiny top coat. So I primed it with a primer made for this and then I painted it red. I have to say it took many coats! I used a roller for the bigger portions and a small brush for the smaller parts." Thank you Jen for sharing such a wonderful room with us!


Design Dazzle sells various nautical style room decor...
Nautical Anchor Rug

Check here for more nautical decor.