Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Decorating With Scrapbook Paper

Some gals are very clever and Darcy Watkins is one of them. She created this fun and fab wall for $13! Per Darcy, "It's amazing what a pad of scrapbook paper and some glue dots can do.



Disclaimer: I know for sure that those glue dots are going to be a complete pain to take off the wall later. I'm choosing to live recklessly in the now.



So I figured out how many sheets I needed up and across to cover the wall. Since the paper is 12 x 12, it was pretty easy to figure out. When I was doing the math, I noticed that I did have a few vertical inches left, so I left 2 inches at the top and bottom of the wall bare. I could have cut some of the paper to make it fit, but I really wanted perfect 12 inch squares, so I just left a little bit of the wall blank. I would suggest that if you do a wall like this you do an entire row across and an entire row down before you do anything else. Just to make sure they fit the way you want. After that you can go for it!"



Thanks Darcy for sharing your photo. Check out more ideas from her Smart Bottom Enterprises blog.



Another idea with scrapbook paper: Cut out large circles from coordinating scrapbook paper and attach to something sturdy i.e. cardboard, old vinyl 12" record (yes, those old things). Attach paper with spray adhesive to sturdy base. 3m makes a foam tape that is double-sided and will not leave marks on the wall upon removal. Use this tape to attach circles to the wall. The brown paint color: Ralph Lauren Old Violin. Stripes were painted with alternating gloss and flat paint.



Update: Here's a link to 3m double sided tape. I'm not sure if this is the one that doesn't leave marks on the wall - please find out before purchasing.