Friday, January 21, 2011

Bucket Repurposed Into A Kids Ottoman

So this kids sized ottoman was once a laundry detergent bucket...


Yep! This throw away detergent bucket was repurposed into a kids ottoman. It's completely no-sew {well, almost}. A glue gun is one of my best friends and I used it for 99% of this project! Here's a step-by- step tutorial turning a bucket into a kids ottoman {or storage container or ??}.



Supplies:
Bucket
Batting
Fabric piece 1/3 yard
Oilcloth for the lid and ruffle 1/2 yard
Rickrack
Glue gun


 Cut batting pieces (measure so it fits around the bucket). The batting I used was thin - so I used 2 pieces to make it a little thicker.


 Place batting around the entire circumference of the bucket (glue gun batting into place).  Make sure batting is under the lip of the bucket.


Measure and cut your fabric so it fits around the bucket. Turn the fabric under a 1/2 - 1 inch and iron into place. Use the glue gun to attach fabric around the bucket on top of the padding. I tried to make sure the fabric didn't go all the way to the bottom of the bucket (1/4 inch from bottom).



Here's the bucket shown on it's side. The edges of the fabric were glued together creating a seam. Pull the fabric down taut - you might have a little extra fabric at the bottom sides (this bucket is smaller at the bottom than the top).   I created a pleat (fold) and glued the fabric to itself.



The batting and oilcloth were glued onto the lid. Make sure it's as tight as possible.




 It's hard to tell in this photo, the indentation on the lid rim was not covered (so the lid can close down on the bucket).



The ruffle is what I sewed - but you don't have to - it can be glued! I cut about five 2 1/2 inch strips of oilcloth that were about 18 inches long. I had my serger out so I sewed the short end of the strips (right sides) together creating one long skinny piece of oilcloth. I folded the fabric on top of itself so it created a  ruffle (or pleat) and sewed with the serger (it can be glued). 





Once done with the ruffle, I glued the ruffle onto the side of the lid.The last step was gluing the rick rack on top of the "edge" of the ruffle to hide the seam.



What was once a bucket headed to the trash - with a little help turned into this....






45'' Wide Oil Cloth Gingham Red Fabric By The Yard                                           Patty Young Gothic Flower Fabric - Pink

Oil Cloth Gingham Red Fabric                  Patty Young Gothic Flower Fabric - Pink



Maxi Rick Rack 1 1/4 Inch Wide 15 Yds.-Red

Maxi Rick Rack 1 1/4 Inch Wide