Saturday, July 25, 2009

Making Decor Out Of Books!

I love to read. With several hundred books in my home, it's hard not to read. I've featured a couple of posts lately on DIY projects using books. This post is a nod to Harry Potter room decor using books as decor and accessories! Great way to recycle books.

How to make a book look "antique":
I made a book cover just like I did when I was a kid, using wallpaper that I had laying around.


Place the book inside the cover.


Use a glue gun to make ridges on the book spine. When the glue is dry, paint the book cover with your color preference. I used a silver paint to paint the ridges so they stood out a little bit.

This is a quick easy project (took about 20 minutes). I made this book to use for decorating in my upcoming Harry Potter party post. If I was making this book for room decor, I would have spent more time on it. An old antique label would be a fun addition to the book. The book cover is removable.


A reading lamp true to it's name! Wouldn't this be a fun lamp in a Harry Potter theme room? Pretty simple project - purchase a lamp kit, shade and recycle books that obviously you will not be reading again. Complete instructions here.

Another fun idea - make an invisible book shelf and stack books on top. Great idea for Harry's room. Click here for a video how-to demonstration