Saturday, January 2, 2010

Coral And Aqua Girl's Room



The coral and aqua blue colors are fantastic together. Casey Shupe designed this whimsical room for her daughter.

What gave you the idea for the room? Anything special that inspired you?  We were moving into our new house so I wanted to give my daughter a new "big girl" room.  I wanted something that she could have for a long time and grow into.  I loved the colors and whimsical design of the pottery barn "brooke" bedding so I designed the room around it.  I also wanted to incorporate the use of owls and birds to add to the whimsical woodland theme.











What are the paint colors? Any do-it-yourself projects? The paint colors are Sherwin Williams "cloudless" and Behr Paint Coral Candy and light pink.  We had a lot of do-it yourself projects with my mom's help!  We painted the bed and nightstand to coordinate with the bedding.  My mother built the bed crown herself and painted it to match.  We then added a vinyl decal "letter s" to the front of the bed crown.  I also painted the metal tree in the windowseat and made the owl and flower magnets. My mother custom made the window seat cushion with coordinating fabric. In addition to the bedding, I also purchased an extra crib bed skirt to use it to make the valance (which my mother sewed).  I purchased it off ebay at a discount because it had a small hole in the skirt, which we didn't need to use all the fabric anyway.  We also used left over fabric from the valance and made a matching lamp shade.  I also purchased pictures that coordinated with the bedding and we painted cheap wooden frames and photo mats to match.  We also painted the picture hangers white and used ribbon to hang the pictures.  















Please share any bedding, art, furniture finds? What's your favorite purchase? Is there something you had to have?   Any interesting facts our readers would want to know? The bedding is pottery barn kids "Brooke" collection.  The bed and night stand were my grandmother's that we repainted. The dresser was my husbands and I purchased new flower knobs for the top drawer to make it more feminine.  The canopy under the bed crown is from Ikea and was very reasonable.  The coral and pink pom poms are Martha Stewart.  The roman shade is from pottery barn kids and I added inexpensive white shears on each side.  The flower light above the dresser is also Ikea.  The pillows on the window seat are all from Pottery Barn - except the bird shaped pillow is from wal-mart.  The branch and bird decal is from rightonthewalls.com.   I was very pleased with the quality of the decal.  I would have to say my favorite thing in the room is the bed crown and canopy.  It really sets of the room since it has such high vaulted ceilings. Overall, I just had to have the pottery barn bedding.  I admit, it was expensive, but I am very pleased with it and it set the stage for the entire room!













We have an amazing selection of bed crowns. You can also customize your own bed crown - perfect over a bed, crib, vanity, desk etc.   Casey hung some beautiful tissue flowers in the corner of the room. If you would like to know how to make tissue flowers, here is my pom pom tissue flower tutorial.