Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Great Idea - Chandelier Project

Here are before and after pictures of my great idea project. Since I had forgotten to take a "before" picture, I found a similar picture on the internet of a chandelier that had been hanging in my dining room. When we purchased our home there were a few things I had to get rid of - this light fixture being one of them. This traditional colonial chandelier is certainly a classic style - just not my style. Before:
So I decided to replace my daughters very ugly room light (didn't even want to search for that picture) with this brass chandelier. But of course, not without spending a little time and money on it. Pink spray paint, black checkered ribbon, black roses and some crystals - totally transformed this chandelier for my daughters pink, poodle parisian room. For approximately $25 and 2 hours of my time this is what I came up with:

How-to: clean any dirt or dust from the chandelier, remove light bulbs and sleeves (white plastic removable covers covering the candelabra base) Use painters tape to cover the empty light bulb socket. Lay down newspapers and spray in a well-ventilated area. Cover light fixture with spray primer. Rotate chandelier so all side and bottom get covered with primer. Once primer is dry - spray with the color of your choice - you'll need 2 cans of spray paint for this size chandelier. Make sure you cover all areas of the chandelier including the chain and electrical wire - you don't want to see a missed spot once it's hung:) Remember to paint the ceiling canopy (this hides the brackets and ceiling box). After paint is completely dry remove the painters tape.
The lampshades - I used the basic white shade that came with the light fixture. Got out my trusty glue gun and hot glued the ribbon around the circumference of the shade. Tied a large bow and glued that on separately. The black silk roses were then glued in the middle of the bow. Crystal were found at Home Depot or Lowes can't remember. Make sure there is no ribbon or flowers that could touch the light bulbs. More photos of this bedroom here.